Tuesday, February 1, 2011

New Month, New Challenge

Welcome to...


Frivolous-less February



Make sure you read the title correctly - It's not frivolous February; It's frivolous-less February!

This is a two-part challenge...

Part One:
The rules are simple and few: Don't spend any money that you don't need to.

Example #1: Groceries at Target = Allowed. Cute shoes on clearance at Target = Frivolous

Example #2: Wedding shower gift from Anthropologie = Allowed. A little something for yourself from Anthropologie = Frivolous

Example #3: Dinner out for a special occasion (Birthday, Groundhog Day, etc...) = Allowed. Dinner out because you are lazy and don't feel like cooking = Frivolous

I think you get the idea...

My one exception (so far) to all of this frivolous-less-ness is using gift cards to be a little frivolous. So if you'd like to go out to dinner with me, I can do Panera, Noodles, or Chic-fil-a (I've been saving up my gift cards from Christmas).


Part Two:

This part of the challenge comes from just having finished a month of wearing only 6 items of clothing. All of the rest of my clothes were just hanging around, waiting for me to wear them again, and I started to think that it's pretty frivolous to have a closet full of clothes that aren't being worn.
Then I started to think that a lot of my clothes are never worn even when I'm not limited to just 6 items. That's when I decided on this month's clothing challenge.

The rules are a little more complicated than part one:
  1. I am going to wear something different every day in February. Once something is worn, it can't be worn for the rest of the month. It goes in the "off-limits laundry basket" (OLLB).
  2. When the month is over, I am going to look at the clothes I didn't wear (plus the ones that I wore and didn't like) and donate (or at least seriously think about donating) them to Goodwill.
Like the 6 items challenge, there are some exceptions:
  1. Like last month, accessories don't count. Wear your shoes and scarves as many times as you want.
  2. Unlike last month, special occasions do count. Wear it to a wedding, and it's done.
  3. I think I'm only counting items that are worn for most of the day. Example: The clothes I wore to work have to be put in the OLLB, but the sweatshirt I wear only in the house to keep warm can be worn more than once.
I think both of these challenges sound pretty do-able. Let me know if you're joining in on either one, and feel free to add your own exceptions to the rules to make them more your style!











P.S. I know this new challenge doesn't really fit with the title of our blog anymore -maybe this is the MORE part. Aimee thinks we might need to change the title - any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. How fun, both challenges sound like a blast! Can't wait to follow you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so fun! I love this one. Yay for Christmas giftcards too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your challenge, especially the part about donating your unworn (is that a word?) clothing. This 30 for 30 Challenge has really made me look at my clothes differently. I will be donating lots of clothing that I truly don't (or shouldn't) wear.

    ReplyDelete