Sunday, February 6, 2011

Frivolousless Update: Week #1


Frivolous-less February



It's been about a week of Frivolouslessness, and I decided to reflect back on the week...

It hasn't been too hard, especially since I didn't leave the house from Tuesday afternoon until Thursday afternoon. Not many opportunities to be frivolous in my house! I did go to Chic-Fil-A on Thursday for lunch but only spent $1.38 on my meal (thank you, Christmas gift cards).

The hard part came Friday after work when I stopped at The Land of Great Temptations (aka: Target). I had something to return (which I actually left in the car - oops!) and a few (non-frivolous) things to pick up. Here are my stories of frivolousless victories at Target (who knew it could be done?):
  1. I needed a stapler (thank you, naughty first grader, for breaking mine on a day there was a sub in the classroom). Instead of buying the cute, purple one, I got the basic black for $2 less.
  2. I was starving, but instead of getting a chocoloate-peanut butter heart like I really wanted, I got a banana - A BANANA! Cheaper and healthier!
These may seem like small victories, but for a girl who regularly spends more at Target than she should, it was quite impressive!

I also realized this weekend that if I am really sticking with my rules of spending no extra money, I will have a very boring month! Saying no to the movies and dinner out all the time and sitting in my house all alone doesn't seem like a good time. The gift cards alone just aren't going to cut it! So I am revising the frivolousless rules a little bit:
  1. The no extra spending rule definitely still applies to clothing, accessories, shoes, etc... Nothing new to wear. The challenge is to clean out the closet, not add more to it!
  2. A little bit of entertainment (going to the movies, going out to dinner, etc...) frivolousness is ok. Use gift cards as much as possible, but don't become a hermit just to be frivolousless.
  3. No extra spending still applies to all shopping! If you don't need it, don't buy it!
Hopefully these rules will be a better fit. I'm not planning on any more changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment