Thursday, January 20, 2011

Less Materialistic, More Creative, or Something Else?

We are 2/3 of the way through with our 6 item challenge!  Starting out, I had some reasons about why I was going to do it, but I hadn’t thought out or developed them very much.  At the most, I thought about how it could be a push against materialism (and everything that entails).  At the least, I just heard about it, thought it might be fun, and wanted to give it a try.

Now that I’m actually in the midst of the challenge, I’ve been doing some thinking about how the 6 item challenge may – or may not – be affecting me.  My thoughts may be mumbled and jumbled, but here are 6 thoughts about my 6 items:


1)      I like not having to think that hard about what to wear in the morning.
2)      On the other hand, I think way more about accessories than before.  I even bought a new pair of tights.  I’m wondering am I becoming less concerned with how I dress or more concerned, just in a different way?
3)      So far I’m convinced that nobody pays close enough attention to what you wear to even realize you’ve been dressing in the same clothes.  (Why do we think we are so important that everyone notices what we look like each day?)
4)      Either #3 is true, or nobody will be willing to tell you they know you’re wearing the same clothes even if they do notice.
5)      This challenge is definitely awakening my creative side – causing me to figure out new ways to combine outfits, add accessories, or make my own accessories (more to come about my attempts on that later).
6)      I like the idea of simplifying the wardrobe.  This could mean buying less, which could also mean supporting sweatshop-manufacturing less.  This could really work even if we focused more on accessorizing possibly with hand/home-made items.





More musings to come...




No comments:

Post a Comment