Saturday, December 20, 2014

It's Bigger Than a Dress!

One of the hashtags for the Dressember campaign is #itsbiggerthanadress

I love the idea that it's not just about wearing a dress for 31 days...It's about spreading awareness...spreading hope...and making a difference wherever you are...

My #itsbiggerthanadress story goes like this...

Last week when I got to work, students were already lined up in the hallways. A bunch of them were holding green papers. Others were passing out green papers to students and staff. One of the kids came up to me with a flyer and said "Do you know about this?" I took the paper, and this is what I saw...

Please make a donation for the ladies
so when they get out of slavery
Other kids were passing out this one...

Please help Miss Granzow
raise $ for slavery
How precious is that!? Another 2nd grade teacher on my team had been telling her class about what I was doing, and they decided to make the flyers and raise money to help. They created these flyers (all by themselves - notice the spelling!) and then my friend printed out information about Dressember from the website to put on the back. Then the kids passed these flyers out all over the school, to students and staff, explaining what I was doing and why it was important. My favorite example: one boy went up to our PE teacher, shoved the flyer in her face, and asked "Do you want to help Miss Granzow stop slavery?" LOVE.

And while I love raising money and awareness for women trapped in slavery and trafficking, I also love that Dressember is being used to teach a bunch of elementary school kids about generosity...giving their time...their writing...their spare change...

So tonight, as I made a $110 donation to Dressember from the students and staff at my school and then raised my goal to $500, I thought again about how true it is, that no one can do everything, but everyone can do something...even if you're only in 2nd grade! 



#itsbiggerthanadress

(And, like always, if you want to contribute, check out my fundraising page here)


1 comment:

  1. Good for you Allison. Not only are you raising money for a great cause, you are also raising awareness in your school - both with the kids and their parents. Great to see God using you right where you are.

    ReplyDelete